The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds :: Shared Description

The Church of St. James the Great, Woodhall was consecrated on the 6th June 1959 by Bishop Donald Coggan. The parish was created on November 6th of the same year.
The church succeeded two previous churches, both mission churches of St Lawrence, Pudsey. Both of these churches were situated in the Waterloo Area of Pudsey. In 1974 Pudsey was absorbed into Leeds, West Yorkshire.
The first of the mission churches was titled St James, Waterloo Mission, and stood from 1885 to 1915 at the bottom of Cromack View.
The second of the mission churches was St James Church Woodhall with Waterloo, which stood from 1915 to 1959 a little further on Waterloo Road.
The area covered by Woodhall and Waterloo was formed into a conventional district in 1939, as the forerunner of the Parish. The third and present church was built on land at Galloway Lane, already owned by the Diocese of Bradford.
This church was designed in the contemporary style of the 1950's by the Bradford architect's Barker and Jordan. It was built of brick with extensive glazing by W. J. Kendall & Co of Pudsey.
The church of St. James reflects its historical roots by incorporating stones brought from Bradford Cathedral and Kirkstall Abbey.
A vicarage and church hall were added in the early 1970's and built by Wood Brothers of Pudsey. Saint James the Great of Woodhall serves a parish of approximately 9,000 persons, stretching from Waterloo in the South to Woodhall Hills in the North, from Leeds Ring Road at Dawson's Corner in the East to just short of the Bradford boundary at Thornbury in the West.
by Mark Stevenson
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

8 images use this description:

SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson
SE2034 : The Parish Church of Saint James the Great Woodhall, Leeds by Mark Stevenson


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Updated: Sun, 10 Apr 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2016 Mark Stevenson, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register