The State Managed Pubs & Breweries of Carlisle and District :: Shared Description

To supply munitions for the Great War, a huge complex was constructed north of Carlisle. Starting in the autumn of 1915, some 10-12,000 “navvies” built a glycerine plant at Dornock between Eastriggs and Annan, while a distilled ether plant was erected between Mossband and Longtown. Eventually stretching some 7 miles long by 2 miles deep with 17 miles of perimeter fencing, at its peak it employed some 20,000 people – mainly women but with a considerable number of male construction workers.
Unfortunately, the influx of “navvies” gave rise to serious drunkenness problems in the City of Carlisle. While Carlisle had some 120 licensed premises in 1916, many were small, one-roomed affairs which simply could not cope with the crowds. Also, the local Constabulary were greatly pressed, with 953 convictions for drunkenness in 1916 (compared with 250 in 1914/15). In addition, there was concern a “tired and emotional” worker could accidentally reduce the area to a very large hole in the ground!
The Government’s answer was to “nationalise” all the pubs and breweries in Carlisle, a process begun in July 1916 and which quickly extended out to Longtown in the east and Maryport in the south-west. Pubs around Gretna and Eastriggs were also included. All were under the control of a local Board, based at 19 Castle Street, Carlisle (now a bookshop), which imposed strict opening hours, a maximum (and very low) alcoholic content for beer and spirits, and a ban on “treating” (buying a round for your mates).
Many old or inadequate pubs were quickly closed. But the scheme did not end with the cessation of hostilities on 11 November 1918, with the last pub – the White Swan in Wigton – only being acquired in January 1921. Indeed, Government control of these pubs and breweries continued until 1971, with return to private ownership not completed until 1973.
As the Scottish pubs soon moved to the control of a local Board, this Shared Description is intended to cover only the pubs and breweries purchased by the Scheme in what is now north-west Cumbria, or built in the years 1916-1971 – or what may now be found on the site (if anything). Many have closed – some have been demolished and some are under new developments or even roads! But there is one excellent book on the subject – “The Carlisle State Management Scheme” by the late Olive Seabury (Bookcase – 2007 – currently out of print), while “Carlisle Breweries and Public Houses 1894-1916” by Steven Davidson (P3 Publications – 2004 – also out of print) is a very useful starting point. Also, the web sites: “The State Management Story” LinkExternal link (not regularly updated) and Wikipedia at: LinkExternal link
by The Carlisle Kid
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

426 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

NY4056 : Howard Arms - February 2017 (4) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4055 : Former "Lord Brougham" public house - March 2018 by The Carlisle Kid
NY3768 : The Globe, Longtown - August 2016 (2) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4057 : Crown & Thistle, Stanwix - June 2017 (2) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4153 : Former "Black Bull Inn", Upperby - October 2017 by The Carlisle Kid
NY1255 : Demolition of the Skinburness Hotel - October 2017 (4) by The Carlisle Kid
NY3561 : Crown & Thistle pub, Rockcliffe - December 2016 (2) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4755 : Former "Bay Horse", Burnrigg - September 2017 (1) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4767 : The Black Lion, Hethersgill - September 2016 by The Carlisle Kid
NY3955 : "Duke of York" pub - December 2016 (1) by The Carlisle Kid
NY3564 : The Metal Bridge Inn - June 2016 by The Carlisle Kid
NY1035 : The Bush Inn, Tallentire - June 2017 by The Carlisle Kid
NY3250 : The Ship Inn, Thursby - April 2017 (1) by The Carlisle Kid
NY3961 : Former "The Board Inn", Blackford - February 2018 (2) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4055 : Lowther Arcade, Carlisle - February 2018 (1) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4754 : Former "Corby Bridge Inn" - January 2017 by The Carlisle Kid
NY1255 : Demolition of the Skinburness Hotel - October 2017 (3) by The Carlisle Kid
NY0336 : Site of Maryport Brewery Limited - October 2017 by The Carlisle Kid
NY0336 : Former "Broom Vaults", High Street, Maryport - June 2017 by The Carlisle Kid
NY2462 : Hope & Anchor, Port Carlisle - October 2017 (1) by The Carlisle Kid
NY3250 : The Ship Inn, Thursby - April 2017 (5) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4055 : Site of "Angel Inn", English Street - March 2018 (2) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4056 : Former "Blue Bell Inn", Scotch Street, Carlisle - June 2017 by The Carlisle Kid
NY5052 : The Pheasant Inn, Cumwhitton - January 2017 (2) by The Carlisle Kid
NY4654 : The Wheatsheaf, Wetheral - November 2016 (2) by The Carlisle Kid

... and 401 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 14 Sep 2016, Updated: Tue, 25 Oct 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2016 The Carlisle Kid, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register