Church of All Saints, Seagrave :: Shared Description

The present church dates back to the 13th century, although there was clearly an earlier, probably Saxon, church on the site of which some fabric has been incorporated.

The church consists of nave with aisles, chancel, west tower and south porch.

The north aisle arcade is 13th century, the south aisle and its arcade being 14th century, as is the lower part of the tower. Both aisles have reticulated tracery of the Decorated period in their windows. Much of the work from this period is faced in the distinctive pink granite of the Charnwood area. The upper part of the tower and the clerestory are 15th century Perpendicular, and the tower arch is of the same period.

As is common, the chancel was much rebuilt in the 19th century. The series of carved heads on window hood moulds around the church are clearly of this period too.

Features of note in the interior include:

A Norman, or possibly earlier, font, circular bowl with arcading on a 19th century base.
On the north jamb of the tower arch there is scoring from the sharpening of arrows or similar. Although common on the exterior of churches, it is much less so inside. (There are further marks on the jambs of the south doorway).
Royal coat of arms of George IV, recently restored to its original position over the chancel arch.
Two small fragments of wall painting of the 13th/14th century uncovered during restoration in 2013, over which there appears to have been a later, possibly 17th century inscription, presumably of biblical texts.
A case over the north door contains an ophicleide and a serpent. These are musical instruments typical of church bands of the 19th century before the installation of organs.
Venetian tinted glass (from Murano) in the south side chancel windows.

The church has three bells, all of considerable age, the youngest dating from 1710, a second dated 1595 and the third being undated but certainly older.

There are several Swithland slate gravestones of the early 18th century in the churchyard, including some of the Belvoir Angel type.

The church is Listed Grade II*.
by Alan Murray-Rust

14 images use this description:

SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6217 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6217 : Belvoir Angel headstone, All Saints churchyard, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6217 : Belvoir Angel headstone, All Saints churchyard, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6217 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust
SK6117 : Church of All Saints, Seagrave by Alan Murray-Rust


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Tue, 28 Feb 2017, Updated: Thu, 2 Mar 2017

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2017 Alan Murray-Rust, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register