St Oswald's church, Filey :: Shared Description


Grade I listed

The church stands in a commanding position above the town, and was built from the 12th century onwards.
It was probably founded by Augustinian Friars from Bridlington, and built on top of an older church.

There is a six bay nave with aisles and clerestory, transepts and crossing tower, chancel, and north and south porches.
The crossing tower of circa 1230, is of two stages with an embattled parapet. There are six bells, the oldest dating from 1675. In the tower stairs, there is a re-used fragment of Saxon interlace carving.
The south door has a semicircular arch of four orders. The porch itself was built in the 15th century.

Originally a tower was planned at the west end of the nave. The original partly built south west pillar can be seen leaning, and it is assumed that the work on the tower was abandoned in favour of the crossing tower.

The nave has alternating round and octagonal piers. These were built first, followed by the failed western tower. The transepts were built in the 13th century, each originally contained an altar.
The nave also contains a carved figure regarded as a memorial to a Boy Bishop dating from the 13th century however it could represent one of the Canons from Bridlington who served the church. At the west end there is also a stone altar which was found in the floor the church, and contains a receptacle for relics. It is probably from the Norman period or even older.
There is a plain bowl font from the 13th century with evidence of a lockable lid.
The original chancel was rebuilt in the 13th century. It has a triple lancet east window and a fine sedilia. The reredos dates from 1911 by Hodgson Fowler. On the outside of the south wall, near the Priest's door, there is a fine mass dial.

The church was restored in 1839 when the screen was removed and new pews installed. Prior to this there was a western gallery and also a singing gallery in the north transept.
In 1885 further restoration revealed the original stonework of the walls, parts of the transepts and north aisle were rebuilt, and the nave and aisles reroofed.

In 1908 there was a fire which caused damage to the roof which was partly rebuilt. The original organ was destroyed by this fire, and a new organ was installed on the north side of the chancel.

In the year 2000 the west end of the nave was developed to form a meeting room with a kitchen and toilet facility.
by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby...

19 images use this description:

TA1181 : South door, St Oswald's church, Filey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TA1181 : East window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Fishermen's window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Organ, St Oswald's church, Filey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TA1181 : Mass dial, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Fisherman's window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Saxon carving, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Graveyard statue, St Oswald's church, Filey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TA1181 : Interior, St Oswald's church, Filey by J.Hannan-Briggs
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : Stained glass window, St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg
TA1181 : St Oswald's church, Filey by Julian P Guffogg


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 22 Mar 2017, Updated: Wed, 22 Mar 2017

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2017 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register