The Kilmahew Fountain :: Shared Description

This fountain in Levengrove Park Link is so called because it was originally in the grounds of Kilmahew House, which was later the site of NS3578 : St Peter's Seminary, Cardross. It was gifted to the town of Dumbarton by Captain Burns of Kilmahew, and erected in the park in 1902. A programme of regeneration of the park was underway in late 2017; the fountain, long out of use, was flowing once again in April 2019.

The following detailed description of the fountain and of the circumstances that led to its being erected here is taken from the Lennox Herald issue of 26-Apr-1902; note that the "Kilmahew Castle" mentioned there is the mansion house that is generally called Kilmahew House, rather than the NS3578 : Kilmahew Castle, now part folly, that stands elsewhere in the grounds:

"Recently some improvements were contemplated at Kilmahew Castle grounds, Cardross, and these necessitated the removal of a handsome ornamental fountain. Captain Burns offered to gift the fountain to the town. The offer was cordially accepted by the Town Council, and the fountain has now been erected in Levengrove Park."

"Altogether it stands about seven feet high. The outer basin, which has a rim of freestone, is 19½ feet in diameter, with concrete sides and bottom. Four ornamental vases, 2½ft. high and cut in freestone, stand on each side. The second basin is 11ft. in diameter, and is constructed of white freestone, moulded. The third basin is 4½ft. in diameter, and is cut from a single block of freestone, with the exception of the gargoyles, which are inserted. This basin sits on four ornamental columns of polished granite, with capital and basis of freestone, the former carved."

"The crown piece is in the shape of a feathery fern, and contains 8 down jets, the water from which falls into the top basin, and one upright jet which, with mechanical appliances, can be used in a variety of ways. The sprays fall into the topmost basin, and the water passes through the gargoyles into the centre of the four circles of the second basin."

"The whole design, as we have said, is handsome, and the gift adds a valuable feature to the park. The site chosen by the Parks Committee, in the centre of the flower garden, is one of the best available, and the work of re-erection has been carried out in a tradesman-like manner by Mr McNab, builder, Cardross, at the sight of Mr Briggs, the Burgh Surveyor. It is expected that in about a fortnight the water supply will be connected to the fountain."
by Lairich Rig
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

11 images use this description:

NS3975 : The Kilmahew Fountain by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : The Kilmahew Fountain restored by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : Kilmahew Fountain detail by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : The Kilmahew Fountain restored by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : Levengrove Park by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : The Kilmahew Fountain during refurbishment by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : Kilmahew Fountain detail by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : Gardens in Levengrove Park by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : The Kilmahew Fountain during refurbishment by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : The restored Kilmahew Fountain: detail by Lairich Rig
NS3975 : Kilmahew Fountain detail by Lairich Rig


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 11 Nov 2017, Updated: Thu, 11 Apr 2019

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2017 Lairich Rig, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register