Elsecar Heritage Centre :: Shared Description

Elsecar village was developed by The 4th Earl of Fitzwilliam during the late eighteenth century into a thriving industrial village where men, women and children made iron and mined coal. The Elsecar workshops were built in 1850 to facilitate a more effective management of the various industrial enterprises around the Fitzwilliam estate. The coal board took over the workshops in 1947 following the nationalisation of the pits. As the collieries began to close in the latter part of the twentieth century, the demand for the workshop facilities began to decline, eventually leading to their closure. In 1986 the Department of the Environment listed most of the buildings to be of special architectural or historic interest. Barnsley Council purchased the workshops along with the Newcomen Beam Engine in 1988 and started a programme of conservation and restoration leading to the creation of the Elsecar Heritage Centre. Entry to the site is free (LinkExternal link Elsecar Heritage Centre website). Most of its buildings are Grade II listed.

The Elsecar Steam Railway LinkExternal link is located behind the Centre and was built to serve the Earl Fitzwilliam’s collieries and ironworks. The railway now operates on a one-mile section of the branch, using historic steam and diesel locomotives.
by David Dixon
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

20 images use this description:

SK3899 : Mardy Monster at Elsecar by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elsecar Heritage Railway Depot by David Dixon
SK3899 : Engine House, Elsecar New Colliery by David Dixon
SE3800 : Elsecar Canal Basin by David Dixon
SK3899 : Ironworks Row, Elsecar Heritage Centre by David Dixon
SK3899 : Heritage Railway at Elsecar by David Dixon
SK3899 : Heritage Railway at Elsecar by David Dixon
SK3899 : Powerhouse Square, Elsecar by David Dixon
SK3899 : Level Crossing at Elsecar by David Dixon
SE3800 : Elsecar Branch, Dearne and Dove Canal by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elephant at the Heritage Centre by Dave Pickersgill
SK3899 : A fascinating visit to Elsecar Heritage Centre (1) by Basher Eyre
SK3899 : The Station, Elsecar Heritage Railway by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elsecar Heritage Centre, Furnace Yard by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elsecar Colliery Newcomen Engine by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elsecar Heritage Centre, Powerhouse Square by David Dixon
SK3899 : Gervase at the Elsecar Level Crossing by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elsecar Heritage Railway Station by David Dixon
SK3899 : Elephant at the Heritage Centre by Dave Pickersgill
SK3899 : Elsecar Heritage Centre, Ironworks Row by David Dixon


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Tue, 28 Aug 2018, Updated: Tue, 28 Aug 2018

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2018 David Dixon, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register