Denham, Suffolk :: Shared Description

LinkExternal link
Denham is a village and civil parish in northern Suffolk. Located approximately 3 miles east of Eye, it is within the district of Mid Suffolk. It shares its name with Denham (St Edmundsbury), another Suffolk village.
Denham's small population is rather scattered, but chiefly clustered along Hoxne Road and The Street, the latter marked on some maps as 'Denham Street'. Curiously, the parish boundary runs along both these roads meaning the majority of the houses in the parish are at its very edge. After years in planning, a village sign was unveiled near Shingle Hill Corner on 27 September 2008.
The Street is one of over 100 roads so named in Suffolk, typically reserved for the main thoroughfare through a 'street village'. The Street in Denham is unusual in that it is now a no-through road, though it is reasonable to suggest that at one time it was the main street for Denham, and presumably led somewhere, perhaps to Redlingfield to the south.
The parish church of St John the Baptist is small but full of interest. It stands a little isolated from the main area of settlement, as is common in some East Anglian parishes. Chiefly dating from the 14th and 15th centuries it comprises the nave (with outward bowing walls), chancel, Victorian vestry and redbrick entrance porch. A west tower is thought to have been removed in the early 18th century - the 'new' west wall is chiefly built of red brick. The octagonal font has been restored and is very plain. In the sanctuary is a brass to Anthony Bedingfield, the third son of Sir Edward Bedingfield, 1574, with a palimpsest of Jacobus Wegheschede, c 1500. A bell turret contained a single bell, now to be found by the organ and inscribed I.D. 1614. 3 bells are recorded in 1553, suggesting the west tower still stood at the time. A north chapel has long been removed and the arch blocked in with brick. Here can be found memorials to the Bedingfield family. The building was in a rather parlous state (2009) but since then has been fully repaired chiefly using English Heritage funding.
White's Directory of 1844 lists 313 'souls' living in the parish. Apart from farmers, the only trades listed included a corn miller, wheelwright, blacksmith and two beerhouse keepers. By 1937 the situation had changed little except for the disappearance of the miller and addition of a grocery-cum-post office, though the population as of 1931 had fallen to 170. Since then the post office has closed and the only building used for community purposes (apart from the church) is the Village Hall, formerly a guard's hut for Horham Airfield.
Indeed, Denham sits amidst an historic landscape of WW2 airfields. Immediately to the east is the site of RAF Horham ('Horrum') airfield (so large that it straddled Denham, Horham and Hoxne parishes), used by the USAAF 95th Bomb Group from 1943 to 1945. Adjacent to Redlingfield Wood in Denham parish is the site of the airfield hospital which has been restored as a museum and a memorial those who served with the 95th in WW2. The Officer's Club at Horham airfield (the 'Red Feather Club', also within Denham parish) has been preserved and like the hospital is occasionally open over summer months. Rumour has it that Glenn Miller, the American Big 'swing' Band leader visited the old Green Man public house in Denham around the time he and his band played at Horham air base on September 10, 1944.
Other airfields near Denham included Eye (to the west), Thorpe Abbotts (to the north) and Mendlesham towards the south.

This extract uses material from the Wikipedia article "Denham,_Mid_Suffolk", which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.
by Adrian Cable
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

180 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TM1874 : Footpath to Church Road by Adrian Cable
TM1873 : Footpath to Hoxne Road, Denham Green by Adrian Cable
TM1975 : The entrance to Nora's Yard by Adrian Cable
TM1975 : Denham Road by Adrian Cable
TM1974 : Hoxne Road, Denham Green by Adrian Cable
TM1974 : Watering Road sign by Adrian Cable
TM1873 : B1117 Cookley Road by Adrian Cable
TM1774 : B1117 Cookley Road by Adrian Cable
TM1674 : Burnt House Hoxne Road Victorian Postbox by Adrian Cable
TM1973 : Water Pumping Station by Adrian Cable
TM1874 : Low Barn by Adrian Cable
TM1672 : Footpath to Cranley Farm & entrance to Fuffolk Farm by Adrian Cable
TM1872 : B1117 Denham Road, Denham by Adrian Cable
TM1674 : B1117 Cookley Road by Adrian Cable
TM1873 : Denham Village Sign by Adrian Cable
TM1674 : B1117 Cookley Road by Adrian Cable
TM2075 : Field Entrance off Chickering Road by Adrian Cable
TM1974 : Entering Denham on Denham Road by Adrian Cable
TM1975 : Denham Road & the footpath to Chickering Road by Adrian Cable
TM1974 : Denham Road & the  footpath to Cat's Lane by Adrian Cable
TM1874 : Denham Low Road by Adrian Cable
TM1674 : Roadsign  on the B1117 Hoxne Road by Adrian Cable
TM1975 : Footpath to Chickering Road by Adrian Cable
TM1973 : Brian Huggins Accident Repair Centre by Adrian Cable
TM1674 : Access Road to Burnt House Farm by Adrian Cable

... and 155 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 3 Apr 2019, Updated: Wed, 3 Apr 2019

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2019 Adrian Cable, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register