Bolton Victoria Hall :: Shared Description

The Victoria Hall was opened in 1900 in the style of a music hall with over 1,250 seats so everyone feels welcome.

In 1897, Bolton was to become the first town in the country to have a Central Hall, in keeping with the ‘forward movement’, which was the last great attempt to reach those alienated from all the churches. Architects Bradshaw Gass were commissioned to build “the finest hall in England”, based on the design of the popular Music Halls. It was felt that non- church people would feel more comfortable in such surroundings. The new Mission Hall was to be built on land belonging to Ridgway Gates Chapel which had opened in 1776 and was visited by John Wesley on 16 April 1777 when he gave it his official blessing. At the time it was considered to be the second largest Methodist Chapel in England.

A terrace of eight shops were bought with the middle four being demolished so that a red brick and terracotta entrance to the main hall could be created from the main street. The other shops were let to provide an income for the Mission. The main body of the hall lies behind the shops. Victoria Hall Methodist Mission was opened on 14 March 1900.

In addition to Worship, the Hall was used for many other activities including penny concerts and silent films were held on Saturday nights and the audience were invited to return on Sunday for worship. Concerts lasted around two hours, opening with a hymn and prayer, followed by several nationally famous soloists, musicians and often a comedian, and ending with the invitation and a benediction. Today, the Victoria Hall remains primarily a place of worship on Sundays, but on other days it plays host to a variety of musical events, lectures, meetings, school presentations etc. The main hall is noted for its fine acoustics.

The hall (including the shops at the front) is designated as a Grade II listed building (Historic England List Entry Number: 1388093 LinkExternal link ).
by David Dixon
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

8 images use this description:

SD7109 : The Main Hall, Bolton Methodist Mission (Victoria Hall) by David Dixon
SD7109 : The Victoria Hall, Bolton by David Dixon
SD7109 : Victoria Hall (rear/side elevation) Ridgeway Gates by David Dixon
SD7109 : Victoria Hall - a view from the gallery by David Dixon
SD7109 : The Gallery, Bolton Victoria Hall by David Dixon
SD7109 : Knowsley Street, The Victoria Hall by David Dixon
SD7109 : The Victoria Hall, Bolton Methodist Mission by David Dixon
SD7109 : Bolton, Victoria Hall Tower by David Dixon


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Mon, 10 Feb 2020, Updated: Mon, 10 Feb 2020

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2020 David Dixon, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register