Wallington Hall :: Shared Description

The hall is a 17th Century country house in the Grand Palladian style, originally built in 1688, although there have been many subsequent changes.

The building was commissioned by William Blackett, a well-known local man with a considerable fortune made from his industrial and mining ventures.

Initially, the building was built in a block with four sides surrounding an open area. This was later covered and made to represent an Italian courtyard, decorated with Pre-Raphaelite style pictorial panels by William Bell Scott depicting scenes from Northumbrian history ranging from the Roman occupation to the exploits of Grace Darling.

Standing guard on the approach to the hall from the south are four huge stone griffin heads. These were brought from Bishopsgate in London and are undoubtedly the ancestors of the modern day griffins which still stand watch over all roads leading into the City of London. Moving these effigies all those years ago was a major task and they were actually shipped to Amble as ballast in returning colliers.

Living in the nearby village of Kirkharle was a young boy by the name of Lancelot Brown and he passed the estate daily on his way to school. In 1765 he had become known as Capability Brown and he designed the extensive east gardens which have changed very little since then.

The interior of the house was lavishly decorated and there is fine rococo plasterwork in many of the main rooms. This work was executed by two Italian brothers who were paid £23 for their labours!

In 1777 the hall passed to the Trevelyan family, but as they were comfortably settled in Somerset they showed little interest in Wallington. However, in 1840 William Trevelyan and his wife Pauline moved in and the house enjoyed a new lease of life.

It was visited by many celebrities of the day, including Ruskin and Turner. Lord Macaulay wrote his History of England there and the desk at which he sat is now an exhibit.

The last Trevelyan to live there was Charles, who, strangely enough, was a zealous communist and is known to have visited Russia. A number of prominent Labour politicians visited the hall, particularly around the times of the Durham galas.

In 1929 the hall was opened to visitors, free of charge. Inevitably the cost of maintaining such a large estate proved too much and the property, comprising the hall and grounds, 17 farms and the village of Cambo, was bequeathed to the National Trust.

Under the stewardship of the National Trust, the hall has become a major tourist attraction for thousands of visitors every year and also plays host to many cultural and other events such as concerts, craft fairs, veteran car rallies and dog shows. It is also in great demand as a very spectacular and impressive location for weddings!

The hall contains an impressive collection of dollsí houses and also Lady Wilsonís 'cabinet of curiosities' a rather eccentric collection of period bric-a-brac.

Wikipedia: Wallington Hall LinkExternal link
National Trust: Wallington LinkExternal link
by Andrew Curtis
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

38 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

NZ0284 : Red squirrel, West Wood, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Urn in walled garden, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Portico House, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Wallington Walled Garden by Graham Hogg
NZ0384 : Trees in the Garden Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : Wallington Hall by Andrew Curtis
NZ0383 : The tamarisk moss: Thuidium tamariscinum by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : The Owl House & greenhouses, Walled Garden, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : Wallington Clock Tower by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : Rustic bench, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Inside the conservatory, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Standing stone, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0185 : Cycle path, Upper Black Bell by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Sir Walter's Privy in East Wood, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : The 'Owl House', Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : Snowdrops near Chinese Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : China Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : 'Wallington Station', children's playground by Andrew Curtis
NZ0283 : 'Insect Hotel', Wallington Dean by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Snowdrops & Snowdrop Sculpture, East Wood, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : China Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : Boathouse Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : Dying Gunnera at Garden Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis
NZ0284 : Wallington Estate path near Fountain Plantation by Andrew Curtis
NZ0384 : China Pond, Wallington by Andrew Curtis

... and 13 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Fri, 6 Mar 2020, Updated: Fri, 6 Mar 2020

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2020 Andrew Curtis, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register