Church of St Mary, Tadcaster
The church in practice has 12th century origins, although only one repositioned arch survives from that period. To the original nave and chancel a south aisle was added shortly after, and a north aisle in the mid 13th century, the arcade of which survives. The church was extensively rebuilt in c.1380 when the south aisle was extended to create the Nicholas Chapel, and the arch between the chancel and the chapel, with its rose decoration, is of this date. The porch, tower and north aisle chapel, now the vestry, were added in the 15th century. The final major work was the widening of the north aisle in 1897, retaining windows.
The overall impression from the outside is of a typical Perpendicular style church.
No significant fittings remain inside from the pre-Victorian church. The font was given in 1877 at the rebuilding, and the pulpit erected in 1912. The wooden part of this and the extensive screen work is largely early 20th century, created by members of the Hedley family.
A feature of the church is the extensive display of late Victorian stained glass. Of particular interest is the 5-light east window created by William Morris & Co with most of the panels designed by the pre-Raphaelite artist Sir Edward Burne-Jones. A few were designed by William Morris himself.
The church is Listed Grade II* Link
12 images use this description:
This shared description
The 'Shared Description' text on this page is © copyright 2023 Alan Murray-Rust.
Shared descriptions are specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse them on their own images, without restriction.
About shared descriptions
These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images.
For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
View images using this "Church of St Mary, Tadcaster" Shared Description
View images mentioning the words [Church of St Mary, Tadcaster] anywhere in text
Links for SE485435
This description is located in SE485435.