Remains of Auchenreoch Farm :: Shared Description

This ruined farmstead is shown on the first-edition OS map (c.1860). At one time, it may have been part of a more extensive ferm toun. The OS Object Name Books describe it as "a shepherd's house in Auchenreoch Muir".

In the Register of the Great Seal, Auchenreoch is mentioned, as "Auchinreoch", in a Latin charter by James VI, dated 13 Dec 1609, along with several other recognisable place-names from nearby [charter #190 in Volume 8 of RMS]. The 1654 Blaeu map of the Lennox shows it, as "Achrioch", near two other farms that are still in existence, namely, "Headdycks" (Highdykes Farm) and "Morehauch" (Murroch Farm).

The "reoch" element of the name is probably from Gaelic "riabhach" (meaning "variegated", "striped"): see Simon Taylor's remarks in the book "Changing Identities Ancient Roots". The moor is dissected by many parallel glens, tributaries of Murroch Glen, so that it appears striped from a distance.

Auchenreoch is mentioned a few times in Dumbarton's Common Good accounts. Of two entries made in 1614/15, one is about taxation not received ("for Auchenreoch, fourtie twa s[hillings]"), while the other entry is the terse "item the commoun of Auchinreoch".

A stent roll drawn up in 1643 contains the following entry: "The Laird of Fullwod for his landis of Kilmalid, Achinreoche, Milne and Milne landis". The Laird referred to here is Semple of Fullwood. The name Kilmalid also survives (the farm of that name survived into the twentieth century, and was located at NS39627737).

As well as the ruined buildings of Auchenreoch themselves, various related features are prominent on the ground and in satellite imagery: old field dykes and the remains of cultivated plots with their patterns of ridges intact.
by Lairich Rig
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

24 images use this description:

NS4278 : Enclosure with ridges by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of an enclosure by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary beside the ruins of Auchenreoch by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of a cultivated plot by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary beside the ruins of Auchenreoch by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of a cultivated plot by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Ruins of Auchenreoch by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of an enclosure by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Remains of Auchenreoch Farm by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Upper Auchenreoch Glen by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Ruined enclosure, with ridges by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old boundary by Lairich Rig
NS4278 : Old field boundary by Lairich Rig


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Updated: Thu, 18 Jan 2018

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2009 Lairich Rig, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register