Shared description

Hatton Pumping Station, Swynnerton

The main central building was the first to be built in 1890, containing two compound beam engines. Behind this was the boiler house with the chimney alongside between the engine house and the boiler house. This was followed in 1898 by the eastern building, which housed a tandem compound engine. A new boiler house was built between the engine house and the existing boiler house. The western building, housing a tandem compound horizontal engine followed in 1907. This too had an additional boiler room between it and the old boiler house.
At the rear of the site was a suite of workshop buildings, and the development was completed by a series of houses and cottages for employees. The ornate design was created at the insistence of the landowner, Basil Fitzherbert, on whose Swynnerton Hall estate the pumping station was built. The main building complex is Listed Grade II*.
Replacement of the steam pumps began in 1937 when two Belliss and Morcom generating sets of 275 Kw were installed in the original boiler house, powering electric spindle drive pumps. These were followed in the early 1950s by a 550Kw unit built by Harland and Wolff, which saw the end of steam pumping. One of the Belliss and Morcom sets and the Harland and Wolff set have been preserved and remain in situ in an area given over as an exhibition/museum space which is open on 4 (or sometimes more) days a year. A number of other items have also been collected here.
The most recent phase of the pumping station's history has been the conversion of all the historic buildings into residential apartments, under the name 'Hatton Manor'. This has been done with great sensitivity with minimal alteration to the external appearance.
by Alan Murray-Rust

Created: Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Updated: Mon, 24 May 2021


20 images use this description:

SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station - 1907 engine house by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Cross-compound engine house by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Generating set at Hatton Pumping Station by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8236 : Hatton Manor by Ashley Dace
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8237 : Hatton Pumping Station - rear view by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8237 : Workshops at Hatton Pumping Station by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Cottage at Hatton Pumping Station by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Generating set at Hatton Pumping Station by Alan Murray-Rust
SJ8236 : Hatton Pumping Station by N Chadwick
SJ8236 : Hatton Manor by Alan Murray-Rust


Shared descriptions

This shared description

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is © copyright 2010 Alan Murray-Rust.

Shared descriptions are specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse them on their own images, without restriction.

About shared descriptions

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images.

For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.

Explore images

View images using this "Hatton Pumping Station, Swynnerton" Shared Description

View images mentioning the words [Hatton Pumping Station, Swynnerton] anywhere in text


Links for SJ8236

This description is located in SJ8236.

Other shared descriptions

Search for other Shared Descriptions.


You are not logged in login | register