The centre of Warwick :: Shared Description

Warwick is among the smallest of Britain's county towns. Had it not been for the Great Fire of Warwick in 1694, the centre of the town today might look like Stratford-upon-Avon or Henley-in-Arden with their abundant black-and-white timber-framed buildings. The fire began in a baker's shop (as did the Great Fire of London) and spread rapidly. It caused damage estimated at £90,000 and made 250 families homeless. In the Georgian period the centre of the town was rebuilt in brick and stone; some street lines were altered. Old Square, for example, was laid out to provide a better approach and setting for St Mary's Church. Further changes were brought about by the extension of Warwick Castle gardens.

Much of St Mary's Church had been destroyed in the Great Fire. Completed around 1394 it succeeded a Norman foundation which in all likelihood replaced a Saxon church. After the fire St Mary's was rebuilt in stone quarried from the churchyard although the planned tower, showing early signs of failure, was rebuilt to the west in a harder sandstone from nearby Shrewley. The siting creates a focal point in the views down Northgate Street and up Church Street. The church was completed by 1706, a light and lofty Georgian interpretation of the mediaeval style. The tower at 53 metres high (174 feet) is both a landmark and a fine viewpoint.
by Robin Stott
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

162 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

SP2864 : The Coffee Tavern, Old Square, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Coats of Arms and figure of Justice, Court House, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2865 : Three flagstaffs, Shire Hall, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Southeast on Swan Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2865 : Entrance, King's Quarter, formerly King's High School for Girls, Smith Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Warwickshire Museum, Market Place, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2865 : Former King's High School for Girls premises, Chapel Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Corner of High Street and Church Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Corner of Jury Street and Church Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : The Waltzers has arrived for the Mop Fair, Market Place, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : East end of Market Place by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Closed  The Zetland Arms, Church Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2865 : A wall that could tell a story, St Mary's Churchyard, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Rear of Brook Street and Market Place, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : New Street car park by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Old Square, Warwick, in early morning sun by Robin Stott
SP2865 : Christmassy music by Royal Spa Brass, Market Place, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Warwick's Saturday market rethought by Robin Stott
SP2865 : St Nicholas Creative Arts Centre, Chapel Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2765 : Housing off Saltisford A425 by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Pedestrian 'tunnel' near St Mary's Church, Warwick, during repairs by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Gerrard Street, Warwick  kerb of dark grey stone by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Castle Mews, off Castle Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2865 : Central arches, former county gaol, Northgate Street, Warwick by Robin Stott
SP2864 : Closed branch of HSBC Bank, 11 High Street, Warwick by Robin Stott

... and 137 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Updated: Fri, 9 Dec 2016

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 Robin Stott, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register