Springs Branch of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal in Skipton :: Shared Description

There is a short spur off the Leeds & Liverpool canal in Skipton called the Springs Branch. Originally this branch stopped after just a quarter of a mile at High Corn Mill, just after the Mill Bridge(Bridge No. 2), however later it was extended for a further quarter mile to facilitate bringing limestone quarried from near to Skipton Castle. This extension was created by Lord Thanet, then part owner of Skipton Castle and the limestone mine. This branch line is not only narrow, but has no turning point for boats over 35' in length. It is fed by an interesting network of leats and reservoirs in Skipton Woods with numerous sluices, weirs and conduits ensuring the water supply. The source of all this water is Eller Beck Link which rises to the north of Skipton on Embsay Moor. (Note there are numerous Eller Becks in northern Britain, "eller" meaning willow - a very common streamside tree.)
Of course the water from the Springs Branch then flows into the main Leeds and Liverpool canal helping to keep its level up too.
The Springs Branch was completed to the Castle in 1797, and metal chutes were used to drop quarried limestone 120' from high up by the Castle, down into waiting barges on the canal. This practice finally ceased in 1946 but some relics of these old industrial workings can still be made out.
These days, this little branch line forms a very attractive walk out of Skipton town centre underneath the brooding Norman castle and out into the woods beyond.
by Rob Farrow
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

49 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

SD9852 : Springs Canal by N Chadwick
SD9851 : Springs Branch, Skipton by Stephen McKay
SD9851 : Mill Bridge, Springs Canal, Skipton by Robin Drayton
SD9851 : Bridge #1 by Gerald England
SD9952 : Skipton Castle by Gerald England
SD9852 : Springs Canal by N Chadwick
SD9851 : Springs Canal by Gerald England
SD9952 : Long Dam, Skipton Wood by Rob Farrow
SD9852 : High Corn Mill by Gerald England
SD9851 : New Bridge by N Chadwick
SD9851 : Springs Junction by Gerald England
SD9851 : Springs Canal by N Chadwick
SD9851 : Canal Signpost by Gerald England
SD9851 : Canal overflow near Back o' the Beck by Stephen Craven
SD9952 : Weir at the end of Long Dam, Eller Beck by Rob Farrow
SD9852 : Path by Springs Canal, Skipton by Robin Drayton
SD9851 : Springs Canal by Gerald England
SD9952 : Springs Canal by Gerald England
SD9851 : Skipton Junction by Mat Fascione
SD9851 : Raikes Road Bridge over Springs Canal by N Chadwick
SD9851 : Mill Bridge, Skipton: downstream side by Stephen Craven
SD9952 : Sluice on Round Dam by Rob Farrow
SD9851 : Springs Branch Canal by N Chadwick
SD9851 : Under Mill Bridge by Gerald England
SD9851 : Springs Junction by Gerald England

... and 24 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Updated: Fri, 2 Jun 2017

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 Rob Farrow, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register