St Luke's Hospital, Bradford :: Shared Description

St Luke’s has its origins in the Bradford Union Workhouse, opened on a fourteen acre site in Little Horton in the early 1850s. The main building was a large H shaped block with a single storey administration block in front, facing on to Horton Lane (now Little Horton Lane). In the 1860s four additional accommodation blocks were added, along with various workshops. A new infirmary block was added to the north side in 1904 (the name Bradford Union Hospital being used). In the First World War the site was used as a military hospital.

From 1920 Bradford Corporation leased the site from the Board of Guardians, opening as the country’s first municipal general hospital in April of that year. Additional buildings were later added; by the late 1940s it was known as Bradford St Luke’s Maternity Hospital. In more recent times modern buildings have been constructed to the south of the site, and there has been a move to concentrate many services at Bradford Royal Infirmary. A number of the older buildings, including the 1904 infirmary block (A block) and M block (dating from the 1940s), along with a doctors’ residence from the 1870s were deemed surplus to requirements. M block was later used for the filming of TV series ‘The Royal’; presumably it was little changed from the 1960s when the series was set.

Demolition of the vacated buildings began in October 2010, starting with the doctors’ accommodation. By December of that year demolition of the other empty buildings was well underway. The demolition did not include any of the listed buildings on the site. Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust stated they intended to use the cleared site for temporary car parking.

Sources:
LinkExternal link
LinkExternal link
by Phil Champion
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

11 images use this description:

SE1531 : Demolition of disused buildings at St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Main former Bradford Union Workhouse block, St Luke's Hospital by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Demolition of disused buildings at St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Demolition of disused buildings at St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Demolition of disused buildings at St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : St Luke's Hospital from Park Lane by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Disused entrance to St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Demolition of disused buildings at St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Disused entrance to St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion
SE1532 : Main former Bradford Union Workhouse block, St Luke's Hospital by Phil Champion
SE1532 : 1904 Infirmary block, St Luke's Hospital, Bradford by Phil Champion


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Fri, 16 Sep 2011, Updated: Sat, 17 Sep 2011

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 Phil Champion, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register