Plas Mawr, Conwy :: Shared Description

Situated within the medieval walled town of Conwy, Plas Mawr (the ‘Great Hall’) is often described as the best preserved Elizabethan town house in the country. The house was built between 1576 and 1585 for successful merchant Robert Wynn, the third son of a prominent local landowner. At the age of 50 Wynn married Dorothy Griffith. The decorative plasterwork in the house incorporated heraldic emblems of the families to whom both Robert and Dorothy were related. Dorothy died in 1586. Robert later remarried and the house became home to his seven children.

Later on the house was sub-divided into tenements. Tenants included a dairyman, a saddler, a washerwoman and a joiner. Two rooms on the first floor were used as a school and a court sat in the gatehouse which fronts on to High Street. For a century from 1887 the house was leased by the Royal Cambrian Academy of Art by the owner Lord Mostyn.

By the 1990s Plas Mawr was in serious need of structural repair. The RCA moved to newly converted premises nearby and the house was placed in the care of Cadw. Between 1993 and 1997 Cadw carried out a comprehensive programme of restoration, including repairing timbers, re-slating the roof, re-rendering the walls and conserving and repainting the elaborate plaster decoration. The house was re-furnished, based on an inventory of the contents taken in 1665. The gardens have also been recreated, although these were originally more extensive. The house is reputedly haunted.

Source: Coflein LinkExternal link
by Phil Champion
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

22 images use this description:

SH7877 : The Lower Terrace, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : View from the lookout tower, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : The Hall, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Rooftops of Conwy by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Garderobe off the Red Chamber, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Bed and table, furnished attic room at Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Windows in the White Chamber, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Windowsill in furnished attic room, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Arches below the Lower Courtyard Terrace, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : The Upper Courtyard, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : The Hall, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Parterre beds on the upper terrace, gardens at Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Chamber above the Brewhouse, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : The Upper Terrace - gardens at Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : The Kitchen, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Apricots in the terraced gardens, Plas Mawr, Conwy by Phil Champion
SH7877 : The Parlour, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Upper Courtyard, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Rear of the gatehouse from the Lower Courtyard Terrace, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Main door to the South Range, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Exterior of Plas Mawr from the Lower Terrace by Phil Champion
SH7877 : Red window in the Red Chamber, Plas Mawr by Phil Champion


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Updated: Sun, 25 Sep 2011

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 Phil Champion, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register