Shared description

Hardwick Park

John Burdon, a wealthy Tyneside merchant, bought the 150 acre Hardwick Estate in 1748. With the aid of architect, James Paine (1717-89), he developed a range of ornamental buildings, lakes and paths to create a grand Circuit Walk used as a guided walk for the enjoyment and entertainment of his friends. It was basically a playground for rich ladies and gentlemen of the time.

At the end of the C18th, Burdon sold the Park to William Russell and it was then transferred by marriage to the Boyne family. Pleasure gardens had gone out of fashion and the Park went into decline, the buildings became ruined and overgrown and the lakes silted up or drained.
In the C20th, parts of the Park were forested or used for agriculture, and Hardwick Hall was used as a training facility for the unemployed, then a maternity hospital, and eventually a hotel.
In 2001 Durham County Council purchased the whole site with assistance from the Heritage Lottery Fund and embarked on a 10 year restoration project.

Keys to the Past Hardwick Park (Sedgefield) LinkExternal link
National Heritage List for England Entry Number: 1000730 LinkExternal link
by Andrew Curtis

Created: Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Updated: Fri, 30 Nov 2018


24 images use this description:

NZ3429 : Bottle Pond and Bono Retiro, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Neptune, Serpentine Lake, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Temple of Minerva, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : 'Dining out', Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Path in Hardwick Park by David Hawgood
NZ3429 : Wild flower meadow near Temple of Minerva, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Circular Pond & Gothic Seat, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Temple of Minerva, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Grand Terrace, Hardwick Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Gothic Ruin, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Gothic tower in Hardwick Park by David Hawgood
NZ3428 : Statue of Neptune in Hardwick Park by David Hawgood
NZ3429 : Tuscan Alcove, Hardwick Hall Hotel from the Rubble Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Fen Carr, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Site of Bath House, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Path on south side of Hardwick Lake by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Board-walk through the Fen Carr, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Wildflowers, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Duck Decoy, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Hardwick Hall Hotel from the Country Park Lake by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Temple of Minerva in Hardwick Park by David Hawgood
NZ3428 : Serpentine Bridge, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3428 : Visitor Centre, Hardwick Hall Country Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ3429 : Hardwick Hall Hotel from the south-west by Andrew Curtis


Shared descriptions

This shared description

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is © copyright 2011 Andrew Curtis.

Shared descriptions are specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse them on their own images, without restriction.

About shared descriptions

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images.

For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.

Other shared descriptions

Descriptions nearby

Related descriptions

The above selections are automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions


You are not logged in login | register