Hidden streams of Newcastle :: Shared Description

In Medieval times, Newcastle was divided by several streams or burns flowing towards the River Tyne. Several of the roads have the term bridge in their names although no water is visible today. Examples are Barras Bridge, New Bridge Street, High Bridge and Low Bridge. They were often important sites for industry and settlement but hampered communications and development. As the town expanded they were filled in and now flow in culverts buried deep below the surface.

The Skinner Burn was culverted between 1840 and 1859. It flows under Bath Lane from just south of Corporation Street, beneath Thornton Street, then west of Clayton Street West, around the site of the old abattoir, and down the east edge of Forth Banks into the Tyne where there is a small outlet in the river wall.
Tyne and Wear HER(11104): Newcastle, Skinner Burn LinkExternal link

The Lort Burn rises in Leazes, between Barrack Road and Richardson Road, then runs across Richardson Road just north of the junction with Queen Victoria Road, down the north side of St. Thomas Street and bends south just after the junction with Percy Street and on beneath Grey Street and Dean Street and the Side. It was crossed by the High and Low Bridges. The Lort Burn was fully covered in 1784 because it was considered as "a vast nauseous hollow… a place of filth and dirt".
Tyne and Wear HER(11105) LinkExternal link

The Pandon Burn was a deep and wide glacial valley. It was crossed by Barras Bridge and New Bridge Street. The valley was filled in over the culverted stream in several stages, completed by 1886. Its waters are joined, before reaching the river, by the Erick Burn, which flows beneath the Laing Art Gallery. In 1977, during President Carter's visit to Newcastle, part of the infill of Pandon Dene south of the Civic Centre, subsided under the weight of the crowd.
Tyne and Wear HER(11114): Newcastle, Pandon Burn LinkExternal link

Commissions North - Tributary LinkExternal link
by Andrew Curtis
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

16 images use this description:

NZ2563 : Cale Cross House by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : Sandgate by Andrew Curtis
NZ2464 : 'The Flowering of the Lort Burn', Leazes Park by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : ‘Give & Take’ , Trinity Gardens by Andrew Curtis
NZ2563 : Painter Heugh, off Dean Street by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : New Bridge Street West by Andrew Curtis
NZ2563 : Curved building on Side by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : Low Bridge, Dean Street by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : 'Pillar Man' by Nico Widerberg, University of Northumbria, Sandyford Road by Andrew Curtis
NZ2464 : Pudding Chare from Bigg Market by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : High Bridge from Pilgrim Street by Andrew Curtis
NZ2465 : Claremont Buildings, Barras Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2563 : Side, Newcastle upon Tyne by Andrew Curtis
NZ2464 : Mosley Street, south side by Andrew Curtis
NZ2464 : 'Tyne Line of Txt Flow', Thornton Street by Andrew Curtis
NZ2564 : The Swirle Pavilion, Quayside by Andrew Curtis


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Updated: Sun, 23 Nov 2014

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2010 Andrew Curtis, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register