Forth Banks Goods Station :: Shared Description

Construction started on Forth Banks Goods Station in 1866. It was designed by architect, Thomas Prosser, and was commissioned by the North Eastern Railway (NER). The Goods Station opened on the 3rd March 1871. There are photos of the interior here LinkExternal link LinkExternal link

In 1904, a new goods station was built for the NER, facing on to Forth Banks, on the end of Prosser's existing station. The probable architect was William Bell. It was extended eastwards by the building of a small, three storey, ferro-concrete shed in 1905. It was designed by William Bell and built by L G Mouchel's Hennebique Company. There is a 1989 photo here: LinkExternal link
It is a Grade II Listed Building LinkExternal link

Prosser's goods shed was cut in two by the building of the approach viaduct to the King Edward Bridge in 1904 but was one of the largest goods stations in the world. There is an aerial photo of the location from 1929 here LinkExternal link

All that now survives of Prosser's goods shed is the undercroft, the south face of which is a sandstone wall pierced by arch headed openings which runs alongside Pottery Lane. The rest was demolished in 1972.

Some literature maintains that the Newcastle-Carlisle Railway once had a passenger station on this site, or even that the Forth Banks Goods Warehouse itself was once a railway station. There appears to be little evidence for this, and the confusion may have arisen from its (second) temporary terminus (1847-1851) just west of Central Station being called Forth NZ2463 : Former site of Newcastle Forth Railway Station

Alan Young provides a plausible and likely scenario here LinkExternal link

The first terminus of the railway after the first Scotswood Railway Bridge was built (1839), taking it from Blaydon to the north of the Tyne, is usually referred to as 'Shot Tower’ or ‘Railway Street’, located just north of the current Arena car park. It was used from 1839 to 1847 LinkExternal link

The railway eventually terminated at Central Station shortly after it was completed in 1851.

SINE: Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Pastscape: LinkExternal link Archive LinkExternal link
English Heritage Archives: LinkExternal link

Tyne and Wear HER(4321): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station (first)
Tyne and Wear HER(8917): Newcastle, Forth Banks, Goods Station Warehouse (second)
Tyne & Wear Sitelines: LinkExternal link

A Brief History of the North Eastern Railway: LinkExternal link LinkExternal link
Disused Stations - Newcastle LinkExternal link

Newcastle City Council - Character Statement LinkExternal link

Planning permission has recently (2011) been granted for the incorporation of the buildings on Forth Banks (Bell's Goods Warehouse and Kings House), along with part of the site of the Goods Station at the rear, into a £37 million new Police Station for Northumbria Police.
LinkExternal link

Much of this is detailed in the following blog LinkExternal link
by Andrew Curtis
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

19 images use this description:

NZ2463 : Kings House, Forth Banks by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks Goods Yard from Redheugh Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks House by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Times Square multi-storey carpark by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Pottery Lane from Redheugh Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Railway Bridge, Redheugh Bridge Road by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Former site of Newcastle Forth Railway Station by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Railway Goods Yards from Redheugh Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks Goods Yard & King Edward VII Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Rooftop car park, Self Storage Warehouse, Forth Street by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Pottery Lane north-east of the railway bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks Goods Yard from Redheugh Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks House & Kings House (undergoing renovation) by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks Goods Yard & west end of Central Station by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Railway Bridge over Pottery Lane by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Tyne bridges from Times Square car park by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Pottery Lane towards Redheugh Bridge by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Cross Country train approaches Newcastle Central by Andrew Curtis
NZ2463 : Forth Banks House & Kings House, Forth Banks by Andrew Curtis


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Updated: Fri, 26 Jun 2020

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 Andrew Curtis, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register