Ruins of Woodbank House :: Shared Description

See LinkExternal link at WoSAS for a detailed description, and LinkExternal link (at Canmore) for a selection of aerial views. From at least the fourteenth century, the site was called, with some variations of spelling, Stuckrodger/Stuckrogert, or similar; by the nineteenth century, it had been renamed Woodbank House. In the twentieth century it was the Woodbank Hotel, then the Hamilton House Hotel, before falling into ruin.

Some have interpreted the name Stuckrogert as being from a Gaelic expression meaning "hill of the hangman"; if this interpretation is correct, the name presumably represents the Gaelic "Stùc a' Chrochaire".

In a charter by Donald, Earl of Lennox (earl from 1333óc.1364), the site is named Stukeroger. It is "Stochrothart" on the Pont/Blaeu map of the Lennox (published in 1654, but based on surveys carried out c.1580só90s), and "Stockrogert" on Roy's Military Survey (1740só50s).

Among the cuttings in Dumbarton Library is a timeline of the house's history, with information from David Keown (a former occupant) and Graham Hopner of the Library's local studies department. The following are among the details given there (the cuttings provide much more information than is given below).

Woodbank House, as it was in the twentieth century, was an accretion of construction work and alterations that had taken place over several centuries: a house, the core of the later buildings, was already standing here in 1650; Charles Scott of Woodbank is likely to have been responsible for the construction of the 18th-century mansion; as revealed by heraldic details visible on the building, William Ewing Gilmour of Croftengea was behind Victorian alterations to the house. In the twentieth century, it was used as a hotel before becoming a private dwelling once again.

The house was damaged by a disastrous fire in January 1996, and some demolition work took place later that year. In the following year, a gable of the earlier structure and a large part of the rear elevation collapsed.
by Lairich Rig
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

8 images use this description:

NS3881 : Ruin near Woodbank House by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : The ruins of Woodbank House by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : Woodbank House (detail) by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : The ruins of Woodbank House by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : Woodbank House (detail) by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : The ruins of Woodbank House by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : Ruin near Woodbank House by Lairich Rig
NS3881 : Woodbank House (detail) by Lairich Rig


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 8 Feb 2012, Updated: Thu, 11 Jul 2019

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Lairich Rig, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register