Priory of St Pancras :: Shared Description

Founded in 1077 under the sponsorship of William de Warrenne, one of William the Conqueror's trusted lieutenants, on the site of a former Saxon church dedicated to St Pancras. The boundary of the Priory followed modern day ham Lane to the east, Cockshut Road to the west, the stream known as The Cockshut to the south - most likely straightened during the construction of the Priory with a small wharf that ran into the grounds, and what is now Southover High Street, Priory Street and Mountfield Road to the north. The priory was well endowed with lands and rich enough to begin construction of a huge church which was completed by the 13th century and was said to be larger than Chichester Cathedral. During that century the priory briefly became the headquarters of Henry III's army prior to the battle of Lewes.

At dissolution only 23 monks remained and the priory had become unpopular with locals most likely aiding the strident protestantism that emerged within the town which indirectly led to its current bonfire celebrations. Having been suppressed in 1537 it was pulled down the following year with land been granted to Thomas Cromwell who built a house on part of the site that survived until that too was demolished in 1668. Much of the complex was reduced to rubble and for many years during the 16th century it became a large building material yard with much of the stonework carted off to be used in the local buildings of the towns as well as in manors such as Kingston and Hangleton near Brighton. The site was split in two by the construction of the Lewes-Brighton railway in 1846 though that work did unearth the caskets of the original founder and his wife. Since then the land north of the railway has remained in private hands will that to the south is now a public park.
by Simon Carey
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

26 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TQ4109 : Lewes Priory by PAUL FARMER
TQ4109 : St Pancras Priory, Lewes - Frater and corner tower by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Ruins of Lewes Priory by PAUL FARMER
TQ4109 : St Pancras Priory, Lewes - Wall of Refectory by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Lewes Priory remains by Paul Gillett
TQ4109 : St Pancras Priory, Lewes - A view through the walls by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Priory Park, Lewes by Paul Gillett
TQ4110 : Greyfriars gate Lewes by PAUL FARMER
TQ4109 : First Reredorter, Priory of St Pancras by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : Priory Park, Lewes by Paul Gillett
TQ4109 : Reredorter, Priory of St Pancras by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : St Pancras Priory, Lewes - View to The Mount by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Ruined Priory of St Pancras, Lewes - General view by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Priory Park by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : Frater, Priory of St Pancras by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : Ruins of Lewes Priory by PAUL FARMER
TQ4109 : Second Reredorter, Priory of St Pancras by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : St Pancras Priory, Lewes - Original latrine block by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Priory Park, Lewes - Victorian Tower by Rob Farrow
TQ4109 : Ruins of Lewes Priory by PAUL FARMER
TQ4109 : Priory Park, Lewes by PAUL FARMER
TQ4109 : Blaker's Tower, Priory Park by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : Church Ruins, Priory of St Pancras by Simon Carey
TQ4109 : Priory Park, Lewes by Paul Gillett
TQ4109 : Prospect Tower, Priory Park by Paul Gillett

... and 1 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Updated: Wed, 22 Aug 2012

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Simon Carey, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register