Temple Church :: Shared Description

Temple Church in the heart of London is one of the very few mediæval churches - or mediæval building of any kind - to survive both the Great Fire of London (1666) and the Blitz (1940-41)
Built originally by the Knights Templar in their characteristic circular style it is also one of the very few surviving Templar churches in Britain. Adjoined to the circular nave is a rectangular chancel.
The Temple was first consecrated in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 10 February 1185 by Heraclius, Patriarch of Jerusalem.
As Henry III had indicated that he wished to be buried in this church, the original chancel was much enlarged and this new part of the church was consecrated on Ascension Day 1240 in the presence of Henry. In the end the monarch changed his mind, and he was buried in Westminster Abbey.
In 1307 after mounting tensions between the Templars, various European rulers jealous of their wealth, and the Vatican, they were excommunicated en masse by the Pope and bloodily disbanded. King Edward II of England gave the Temple Church to the Knights Hospitallers who held it until Henry VIII's reign and the turbulence of the Reformation.
The church remained in Royal hands until 1608 when King James I granted the whole area around and including the church to the two societies of lawyers - the Inner Temple and the Middle Temple. These societies have maintained the church to a high standard ever since; and it is referred to as the "Mother Church of the Common Law".
For a much fuller history see LinkExternal link
The church was much restored during the Victorian era - see an interesting and informative article here LinkExternal link
The Temple suffered extensive damage during WWII, most particularly on the night of 10th May 1941 when incendiary bombs set fire to the roof. The fire spread to the organ and thence to the wooden fittings within the church. The heat was so intense that the columns of the chancel split, but the vault survived. In the round, the wooden roof collapsed onto the effigies of the knights below.
It was not until 1958, some seventeen years later, that the church was fully restored. The Round Church was rededicated on 7th November of that year by the Archbishop of Canterbury in the presence of Queens Elizabeth II and Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Prince Philip - the chancel having been rededicated four years earlier on 23rd March 1954.
by Rob Farrow
More nearby... Others with same title Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

33 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TQ3181 : Temple Church from Church Court by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - central roof boss above the Round Nave by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Tomb of Sir Edmund Plowden by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Chancel south aisle by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - view across the gallery by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - East Window detail by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - William Marshal, 2nd Earl by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Chancel, central aisle by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Letters Patent 1608-2008 window by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church from Inner Temple Lane by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Stained glass nave window by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Romanesque doorway, Temple Church by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Gilbert Marshal, 4th Earl by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Tomb of Richard Martin by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Tombstones beside Temple Church by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Font by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Gallery above the round nave by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Nave roof by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Old glass diamond pane (1) by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Chancel north aisle east window by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Curved interior wall of the Round by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - View to chancel from gallery by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - East Window by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - Encaustic tiles in gallery (1) by Rob Farrow
TQ3181 : Temple Church - the gallery interior by Rob Farrow

... and 8 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Thu, 7 Mar 2013, Updated: Fri, 20 Feb 2015

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2013 Rob Farrow, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register