St Clement's church, Hastings :: Shared Description

Grade II*listed

St Clement's Church dates back to 1080, however it was destroyed in a French raid of 1377 and rebuilt shortly after.The church was restored in the 19th century.
It consists of a south west tower, nave with north and south aisles with chapels and chancel in one, there is no chancel arch. The tower has flint and stone chequerwork and a south west turret.
The south aisle has gabled buttresses and an embattled parapet. There is a south porch which is 19th century. Most of the windows were replaced in the 19th century.
The church has much in common with All Saints in Hastings, although was probably more important.
The nave and aisles are the same height, the aisles being six bays long, the arcades have four shafts and four hollows which date from the late 14th century. The aisles extend eastward as chapels, the chancel has two bays. The church is built on a slope, and there is a sacristy beneath.

The ceilings are wagon roofs. The chancel has a sedilia with a painted wall, probably late 14th C.
There are two brasses in the north aisle. The font is octagonal from the 15th century with Shields bearing the instruments of the Passion.
The east window and the Lady Chapel window are by Philip Cole, former principal of Hastings School of Art. They replaced the original windows which were blown out by a bomb blast in 1943. See TQ8012 : Stained Glass in Conquest Hospital
There are eight bells in the tower.

In 2012 work started on a major restoration project on the church. The Philip Cole stained-glass windows were restored, a marble floor was fitted, and a large glass-walled multifunction room was installed at the rear of the nave. There are steps up to a Gallery with seating above. This provided flexible spaces for meetings, kitchen, toilets and new vestry. A bellringers platform was also installed with access via a spiral staircase. The organ was replaced with an electronic digital organ.
The church was closed for several months during this renovation, and reopened at Easter 2013.

by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

32 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

TQ8209 : Stained glass window, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Tower of St Clement's church by Stephen Craven
TQ8209 : Church of St Clements by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Memorial stained glass window, St Clement's church by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Brass to Thomas Wekes & family, St Clement's church by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Interior, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Lady Chapel, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Nave and north aisle, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Stained glass window, St Clement's church by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : East Window, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : East Window, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : Church of St Clement by N Chadwick
TQ8209 : East Window, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Stained glass window, St Clements' church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : South aisle and chapel, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Tracery detail, east window, St Clements' church by Julian P Guffogg
TQ8209 : Organ Console, St Clement's church, Hastings by Julian P Guffogg

... and 7 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Mon, 1 Apr 2013, Updated: Mon, 1 Apr 2013

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2013 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register