Pooley Country Park :: Shared Description

Coal has been mined in Polesworth at least since the time of the Norman abbey. By the 17th Century, the industry was firmly established, with many small pits being worked in and around the village. The extension of the Coventry Canal through Polesworth in 1790 and the opening of the Trent Valley railway in 1848 encouraged a steady growth in coal production.

In 1847 a coal mine was sunk on the Pooley Hall Estate, not far from the main House. The first deep shaft was sunk in 1848. The mine was completed in 1849 and coal began to be extracted in 1850. A wharf was constructed on the Canal for the Colliery and a branch line was built to connect it to the Trent Valley Line (now part of the West Coast main line), that ran through nearby Polesworth.

By 1900, work had become concentrated in just three sites: Pooley Hall, Birchmoor and Birch Coppice collieries. Pooley Hall Colliery (established in 1897) had one of the first pit head baths, opened in 1928. It was the first mine to generate its own electricity (from excess steam) in the early 1920s and later provided electricity for Polesworth, Tamworth and Birmingham.

In 1951 the mine workings from Alvecote, Amington and Pooley met underground. Pooley Hall Colliery merged with nearby Amington and Tamworth Collieries to form North Warwick Colliery, under which name it traded until its closure in 1965. Several deep mines in North Warwickshire closed as opencast mining became widespread after the Second World War. After closure parts of Pooley Hall, outbuildings and the colliery buildings had to be demolished due to mining subsidence. Mining carried on in the area until 1987, when Birch Coppice finally closed SP2599.

The Country Park was designated in [date] and opened in [date]. The 62.5 hectare site, one third of which is a designated Site of Special Scientific Interest, contains several pools caused by mining subsidence as well as woodland habitats. Former Pooley and North Warwickshire miners have donated memorabilia, which can be seen in the Pooley Fields Heritage Centre. The great wooded mound of colliery waste commands extensive views. It is bounded on three sides by the canal, the M42 motorway and the West Coast main line railway. It is surmounted by a glittering golden column, the Golden Tower of Leaves, a public art project inaugurated in 2011.

Information combined from:
WCC Country Parks website: LinkExternal link
Artists Dalziel + Scullion website: LinkExternal link
Wikipedia: Pooley Hall LinkExternal link
Polesworth Parish website: LinkExternal link
by Robin Stott

22 images use this description:

SK2503 : Thinking of photographing autumn colour? Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Pooley Country Park: the mound by Christopher Hilton
SK2503 : TEAS at Pooley Country Park by Alan Murray-Rust
SK2604 : The M42 crosses the River Anker north of Polesworth by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Side channel, Coventry Canal by Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2703 : The Round Berry by Robin Stott
SK2503 : The Golden Tower of Leaves, Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2503 : M42 bridges the Coventry Canal and Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Car park at Pooley Country Park by Alan Murray-Rust
SK2603 : West Coast main line bridges the River Anker north of Polesworth by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Descending the mound, Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Former Pooley Hall Colliery wharf by Alan Murray-Rust
SK2503 : M42 crosses the Coventry Canal near Polesworth by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Tea Room and Visitor Centre, Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Rainbow wheel by Alan Murray-Rust
SK2503 : Pooley Country Park: view south-east from the mound by Christopher Hilton
SK2504 : Pooley Country Park: lake by Christopher Hilton
SK2503 : Pooley Country Park: view north-west from the mound by Christopher Hilton
SK2503 : Up close to The Golden Tower of Leaves, Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2504 : Alvecote Priory from the mound in Pooley Country Park by Christopher Hilton
SK2503 : East on Coventry Canal by Pooley Country Park by Robin Stott
SK2503 : Old mine shaft at Pooley Country Park by Alan Murray-Rust


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Fri, 9 Aug 2013, Updated: Wed, 11 Sep 2013

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2013 Robin Stott, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register